Monday, June 23, 2008

Gardening...

One of the great things about having a backyard now is that we can learn how to garden! This year we moved in a little late in the gardening season, so we decided to try it out in pots first. I planted tomatoes, green peppers, green onions, cilantro and carrots. If it goes well...we hope to make a little garden plot in the yard somewhere for next year! I really had no clue where to start with this whole thing. I really should have paid attention to what my mom did every year, she always had cool stuff growing. It's just another thing I wish I had paid a little more attention too growing up...just add it to the list (cooking, sewing...). But luckily I was able to get some instructions over the phone from my mom! So we'll see how it goes this year, I have my expectations very low so that I won't be disappointed if nothing grows! Which could very well happen. You will know it went badly if I never mention it again!

8 comments:

Boise Mom said...

I am impressed! It should do well. I would suggest tomato cages for the plants, even in the pots.
There is nothing better than home grown veggies. With the price of food going up, up & up, every little bit helps. Happy gardening!
Oh, & happy mowing. This is Derek's first lawn to mow since he has gone off to school and gotten married.

Ryan and Jill said...

Impressive!! You are awesome. I don't have a green thumb or finger for that matter. I seem to manage to kill everything that I try to grow. You will have much beter luck!

Matt and Janae said...

Good for you! That is great that you are trying that out! I am sure that you will be very pleased with the results! I can't wait to hear more about it. :)

Anonymous said...

Thats a great start! We moved into our home in March and have planted a garden-it is such a fun family activity! Good luck to your little pots!! Are you guys going to any baseball games???

Messimoo said...

Julie, I found your blog off of the Nelson's. I hope you don't mind.

CONGRATULATIONS on your baby girl! She is absolutely beautiful!!!!

As for the tornadoes, I grew up in Wisconsin and I HATE the sound of the sirens, and used to dread all the thunderstorms! I would love have you see our blog.....send me your email address to jssc_busgyt@yahoo.com and I'll send you an invite. Oh yeah, by the way this is Jess from your old ward!

Kirstin - Klinton - Max - Krieg Starr said...

Well done with the gardening, Your litte girl is so cute, she totally looks like you.
p.s. I fixed my blog so it is all updated now...it was lame when you checked it.

Mandi said...

Are they still alive??? ;) just kidding! They look great - I think pots are the way to go - I'm guessing you really don't have to weed them that way! We planted a couple of things before we left Seattle in pots too, but seeing as they are trying to survive an entire month without any TLC - I'm guessing they will be fried and dead when we get back! Oh well!

Bri, Steve, Achilles, and Melita said...

Hi, this is Brianne Perkins (used to be Foster), I knew Derek in high school. I got your blog address from Mandi and TJ's blog, hope that's cool. I just started a blog and am trying to get my whole blog network going. My site is www.weareinthedoghouse.blogspot.com if you want to check it out. Your baby girl is so cute and everything looks well for you two. By the way, we live in California (Ventura) and I'm terrified of earthquakes too! Everytime a big truck drives by or something I'm sure it's the "big one" lol.