Monday, June 9, 2008

Omaha...


Being born and raised in California, I had a lot of experience with un-fun natural disastors - Earthquakes. I have always been PETRIFIED of earthquakes. There is something about them - too spontaneous, no warning and they always seem to be in the middle of the night. Who likes that?! So moving here I thought this is great, no earthquakes out here! Yes! Well, there is a whole new monster out here, TORNADOS. I wasn't really afraid of them, thinking they were no big deal...not until Saturday.

Saturday night we had our first real tornado scare and it was in the middle of the night no less! At 2:30 in the morning I was startled awake from the noise of the tornado siren. Being here about a month now we had heard it a couple of times when they practiced it. It was always real quiet and was played when it was nice weather outside. But, not this time. This time it was loud and ominous. Of course I wake up Derek because he is still sound asleep. He thinks its no big deal and tells me to go back to sleep. Yea right! I go on the computer panicked trying to find out what is going on. I get Derek awake and he goes and turns on the TV. There is a tornado warning for our county and it already touched down in a town right outside the metro area of Omaha. It is only like 10 miles away or something, so pretty close. Meanwhile the siren goes off again and it starts to get really quiet outside. It had been very stormy and pretty much the only thing I know about tornados is when they come things get quiet outside and then they hit. My pulse started to race and so I got desperate and grabbed the baby and went downstairs by Derek, I risked waking her up, which is quite the risk these days! Luckily, within 10 minutes or so they say it has passed our area and the strong warning has been lifted. Derek was pretty much at ease with it all...but not me. I layed awake for the next hour and a half until the baby woke up again. It was a long, scary night! Let's just say that Tornados are now my least favorite natural disastor!!!

8 comments:

Mandi said...

MOVE BACK TO IDAHO!!!!! How scary! I bet it is a thousand times scarier with a baby now too. I am glad everything was ok. I hope I never have to hear that siren! Good luck and stay safe!

Anonymous said...

Your mom says . . .Alway a much better view from the TV! I am sorry it is such an unnerving experience. Glad you have a basement! Put all your comforts down there! Sooo scary!

Matt and Janae said...

Yikes! They are so scary...one touched down in the town just 10 minutes away from us while we lived in Idaho. The storm on our end was horrible.

Glad that nothing happened in your area!

Joe and Megan Karlsven said...

Of course tornados are scary. I have always said that I wanted to live somewhere that does not have tornados, because I would rather face fires and earthquakes any day. I do think it is funny that Derek saw no problem with it. A typical man, joe would be the same way.

Boise Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Boise Mom said...

Scary! Like Diane, I am glad you have a basement that you can retreat to. It is better to be safe than sorry.
We are lucky here in Boise...no extreme weather...for the most part. We have only felt a rare, small earthquake.

Ryan and Julianne said...

Seriously - Ryan did the same thing that night. Well, he got up with me, but thought I was over-reacting. I told him that tornadoes are NOT a joke!!

Way to take the precautions...I totally woke Sam up when I grabbed him and ended up feeding him in the bathtub (yes, the bathroom is our "safe" location of choice) at 2:30 in the morning. Nice, eh?

Welcome to the midwest!

Kami P. said...

I agree. The thought of a tornado was so sureal until saturday night. Again, last night I was up for a couple hours getting worried about the storm. It's so nerve racking!